What government is responsible for healthcare in Canada?

Avatar photo
| Published , updated April 3, 2024
  • Delivery: Provincial and territorial governments are responsible for the management, organization and delivery of most of Canada’s health care services, with all provincial and territorial health insurance plans expected to meet national principles set out under the Canada Health Act.
  • Funding: Provincial and territorial governments are primarily responsible for funding healthcare. As of 2021, they fund 78% of the cost, with the federal government providing the rest (22%) through the Canada Health Transfer (CHT). In Ontario, the federal government supports 24.5% of the Province‚Äôs health sector spending in 2022-23, which are estimated to total $19.2 billion according to the FAO.
  • Law: Canada Health Act

More: Which government is responsible? Municipal vs Provincial vs Federal

Leave a comment

All comments are reviewed prior to appearing on the site.

Rules:

  • Remember the human. No harassment, bullying, and threats of violence.
  • Be respectful. Provide constructive feedback on specific policies and actions.
  • Stay on topic. Relevance to the subject of the post or to the previous comment.
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Do you follow municipal politics in your area?

Join us in our Discord server!